I asked some locals what they wanted tourist to know before visiting their country!
1. “Most Danes are not good at small talk and we are usually not comfortable with strangers who decide to come up and chat with us. This can be perceived as cold or unfriendly, but the truth is that we are just not accustomed to this level of public interaction. If you want to chat with danes, this is best accomplished out on the town with a beer in hand – we are much more talkative and approachable after a drink!”
2. ”Denmark is a small country of just below 6 million inhabitants, so we need to have an international perspective. Almost everyone speaks english well enough to carry a conversation and many are well versed in german as well.”
3. ”You will probably notice that we are especially fond of our flag. We use our flag for many occasions, and almost none of them have to do with being a national symbol, but rather a symbol of celebration.”
4. ”We will decorate with flags when someone has a birthday – this is probably the main use of the danish national flag in everyday life – which is why it is also commonly referred to as “birthday flags.”
5. ”Stores will use flags as decoration when the store is having a “birthday sale” at the anniversary of a shop’s opening day.”